Navigation Menu
Discussion Forums
Photo Gallery
Arcade Games
Go Back   SgAUTO > Make & Model Specific Discussions > Malaysian Makes

Old 25-Jul-2008, 12:15 AM   #1
VVT-i

Arrow Proton to produce cars powered by Natural Gas

I wonder who would partner with Proton after failed talks with GM and VW in the past

Quote:
Malaysia's Proton needs foreign partner: minister
4 days ago

KUALA LUMPUR (AFP) — Malaysia's national car maker needs to hook up with a foreign company if it is to compete in the automotive industry, the trade minister said according to Sunday news reports.

Muhyiddin Yassin said such a partnership would help Proton expand into overseas markets, and thrive in the long term.

"I don't think we need to be too nationalistic in supporting Proton without taking into consideration what the business is all about," he said according to the Star daily.

"Proton needs to grow beyond the boundaries of Malaysia, where it needs to be competitive, form partnerships, have good technology and brand name," he said.

Proton was formed 25 years ago by former premier Mahathir Mohamad as part of an ambitious national industrialisation plan but its market share has slumped over the years, as it faced difficulties coping in a new deregulated market.

The government has urged it to forge a partnership with a foreign automaker to give it the expertise and economies of scale that it needs to survive, but talks with Volkswagen and General Motors have collapsed.

"If they want to move out, they have to be more competitive, they have to produce a good quality car and have a good technology," Muhyiddin said, according to state Bernama news agency.

Last month Proton announced a highly publicised "zero-defect" sales campaign, aimed at erasing a persistent reputation for poor quality that has left it struggling to compete against Japanese and European car makers.

Proton managing director Syed Zainal Abidin also announced plans to fit all models with natural gas tanks from October to help motorists beat the rising cost of fuel -- following a 41 percent petrol price hike here last month.

In February Proton announced it recorded net profits for two quarters in a row, thanks to lower operating costs and increased sales.

The company booked a net loss of 32.92 million ringgit (10 million dollars) for the nine months to December 2007 -- a fraction of the 590.448 million ringgit loss a year earlier.
Source: APF
VVT-i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jul-2008, 03:32 PM   #2
Blazing Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVT-i View Post
I wonder who would partner with Proton after failed talks with GM and VW in the past

Source: APF
GM need to save themselves first. VW may still work with them. How about the Japanese or Korean?
Old 30-Jul-2008, 07:00 PM   #3
Flintstone

Why would other companies work with Proton? They seem to suffer on the reliability side.
Old 01-Aug-2008, 01:12 AM   #4
Blazing Angel

Maybe if the other companies are interested in tapping into Malaysia's market?
Old 01-Aug-2008, 10:30 AM   #5
Flintstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazing Angel View Post
Maybe if the other companies are interested in tapping into Malaysia's market?
hmm...... that seems possible. I saw so many proton and other Malaysian cars when I was there for holiday
Old 02-Aug-2008, 01:45 AM   #6
VVT-i

Proton wants to work with a partner with better technology, probably in exchange, sell off part of its company.

In Malaysia, they have advantage over foreign brands because they don't have to pay the huge taxes on foreign cars. And Malaysia is one of the countries in Asia with most number of cars...
VVT-i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-Aug-2008, 07:29 PM   #7
Blazing Angel

Their sales were poor when there were in talks with VW last time, they called off the deal. Now that they are making profit again, they hope that they can get better deal this time round , but with the poor economy sentiment now, may be no one is willing to take such risk...