Discussion Forums
Photo Gallery
Arcade Games
Go Back   SgAUTO > General Discussions > Petrol Talk

Petrol Talk Life juice for your rides

Old 02-Jun-2008, 09:43 AM   #1
VVT-i

Wink Malaysia calls off petrol ban for foreign-registered vehicles

Citing for practical reasons, the petrol ban was called off, for now, all foreigners are allowed to pump at the stations. In the future, foreigners will still be allowed to pump, but at a higher or unsubsidised price.
VVT-i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Jun-2008, 10:06 AM   #2
Achilles

I'm not very surprised... but that's still good news to us
Old 02-Jun-2008, 12:40 PM   #3
livestar

Default KL puts off 50km petrol ban plan

June 2, 2008

Cabinet to review practical issues related to curbs on foreign motorists

MALAYSIA has put off plans to ban foreign-registered vehicles from filling up on subsidised petrol in its border areas with Singapore and Thailand, Deputy Prime Minister Najib Razak said yesterday.

The ban was originally to start today for Thai-registered vehicles in the north and on June 9 for drivers of Singapore-registered cars in the south.

But Datuk Seri Najib, who is in Singapore to attend a security summit, told reporters that an anti-inflation Cabinet committee would meet tomorrow to review the plan.

'We have to find a new effective date because there are other matters, like for example, can we have separate pumps because the Singaporeans are saying that they don't mind paying the market rate,' he said.

His comments indicated that the government may allow foreigners to buy higher-priced fuel, whereas the earlier plan was to impose a total ban on foreigners buying fuel.

He said that the postponement was made following requests by Singaporeans.

Many Malaysians who work in Singapore have also complained that they should be allowed to enjoy subsidised rates for their Singapore-registered vehicles, he added.

The move is part of Malaysia's measures to curb soaring subsidies, which are expected to cost the government RM45 billion (S$19 billion) this year as global oil prices skyrocket.

It bars foreign-registered vehicles from refuelling at petrol stations within 50km of the country's borders with Singapore and Thailand. The penalty for station owners who flout the rule is a fine of up to RM250,000 or a jail term of three years.

Separately, the Malaysian High Commissioner to Singapore, speaking to The Straits Times yesterday, said that the Malaysian government is conscious of the 'practical issues' that have arisen from the proposed ban.

There are many Malaysians who own Singapore vehicles, including some who live in Johor Baru but travel daily to work here, Datuk N. Parameswaran said.

They should not be 'penalised'.

'Being Malaysian, they should be able to enjoy a Malaysian facility extended to Malaysians,' he said.

Mr Parameswaran said that government officials meeting tomorrow will discuss suggestions that Malaysians who own Singapore-registered vehicles be allowed to buy petrol by flashing their identity card, the MyKad.

'That's a very practical possibility,' he added.

It had been reported that some Malaysians who own Singapore-registered vehicles were upset by the ban.

But others, like Ms Jenny Leong, thought it was fair.

'I work in Singapore and live here, so I shouldn't get to enjoy the subsidy,' said the 60-year-old financial consultant, who is a permanent resident here.

ASSOCIATED PRESS

what comes around goes around comes around goes around comes...
livestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Jun-2008, 02:51 PM   #4
Blazing Angel

The article mentioned "put-off", does it mean they can put it back on any time
Old 02-Jun-2008, 03:10 PM   #5
waxleo

Default CRAZY

Some big guns like to put words into our mouth.
Did I get it wrong, "Singaporeans dun mind paying the market rates!"
Like to ask the Datuk, who are these 'Singaporeans' he mentioned.
Crazy to pay market rates to Malaysia, rather contribute back to our own country. That's what the 3/4 tank applies. But due to cheap petrol, it is still worth it. Now charge market rates, can forget it.....
waxleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Jun-2008, 03:32 PM   #6
livestar

I was frustrated to see those too, that's why I highlighted in the article. And Singaporeans "requested for postponement"? Hmmm... I read that they decided to start the ban on the Thai borders first because the "problem" was more serious there and that probably due to petrol smuggling across their borders

Old 02-Jun-2008, 03:53 PM   #7
Achilles

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxleo View Post
Some big guns like to put words into our mouth.
Did I get it wrong, "Singaporeans dun mind paying the market rates!"
Like to ask the Datuk, who are these 'Singaporeans' he mentioned.
Crazy to pay market rates to Malaysia, rather contribute back to our own country. That's what the 3/4 tank applies. But due to cheap petrol, it is still worth it. Now charge market rates, can forget it.....
That's what politicians do, instead of saying it was a stupid idea to have the petrol ban, they'll say, Singaporeans are ok to pay more... so we set up special stations to cater to them

Here are some conspiracy theories:
  • Malaysia's trying to get even after loss of Pedra Bracah. The ban was only meant to threaten Singaporeans. So after they say they would ban, they would then announce, we are nice, we won't ban, just charge the "normal" price.
  • They realized the ban would result in loss of businesses elsewhere, hence call it off, or they have some internal conflicts and someone with big mouth talked too fast
Old 02-Jun-2008, 05:37 PM   #8
waxleo

Default Crazy

The main problem with their government is - nobody knows who is making the CALL!
To ban or not to ban?
To charge market rate and set another pump station or not? (This station surely must be the WHITE ELEPHANT- hahahahaha).
Too many Indian Chief's...............
Old 03-Jun-2008, 11:14 AM   #9
livestar

Exclamation Ban continues......

Read this post: M'sian Minister: Removal of 50km petrol ban not true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazing Angel View Post
The article mentioned "put-off", does it mean they can put it back on any time
Your "prophecy" has come true

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxleo View Post
The main problem with their government is - nobody knows who is making the CALL!
To ban or not to ban?
To charge market rate and set another pump station or not? (This station surely must be the WHITE ELEPHANT- hahahahaha).
Too many Indian Chief's...............
I guess the outcome depends on which chief has the loudest voice?

Old 07-Jul-2009, 09:46 PM   #10
waxleo

Default CRAZY

Now we see what happen to the Causeway Bridge. Will it proceed or not? Only someone willingly to spare some benefit to the King of J.....