Discussion Forums
Photo Gallery
Arcade Games
Go Back   SgAUTO > Make & Model Specific Discussions > Japanese Makes

Old 25-Oct-2008, 12:34 AM   #1
mindriot

Question Help - cant find any Mitsubishi Delica's in Singapore

Hi folks, nice forum here.

I recently moved here from the UK, among other cars I owned a Mitsubishi Delica. I am desperately trying to find one here but there is no trace I can find of a single one here, does anyone know of any for sale in Singapore?

I'd even import one from Japan but theres the 3 year limit and the very last ones of the L400 series 2 were registered late 2005. Beyond that I dont even know if theres any vehicle restrictions that would exclude this model such as height and bull bars etc.

Ideally I'm looking for the high roof (either sunroofs or glass roof) Delica super exceed L400 series 2 V6 3000cc petrol with super select 4WD etc and the mivecs 2 gearbox etc.

However I'd happily consider any L300 or L400 series based Delica.

The one I had in the UK was the best vehicle I have ever owned and I'm hoping someone here can supply information that will help me own one again in Singapore.

Thanks in advance.
mindriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Oct-2008, 07:10 PM   #2
livestar

Are you considering to get a brand new or a used Delica? Actually why are you looking at Delica particularly, aren't there other vans that are similar?

what comes around goes around comes around goes around comes...
livestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Oct-2008, 11:15 PM   #3
mindriot

Truthfully theres nothing quite similar to a Delica

The new one is the D:5, not the L400, it dosent match the previous one for capability. The D:5 is more a standard car type on/offroader, i like it but theres no way in hell im paying singapore new car prices. Plus I know every inch and trick with the L400 vehicles and I dearly want another one. Besides I like old cars and most of the modern vehicles available in Singapore are uninspiring or just plain hideous.

Besides, the delica isnt anything like the van, yes its based on the L400 but thats where it ends, the Delica has excellent on road handling and performance and offroad equivalent to the shogun/pajero - its the same underpinnings and mechanicals.

I had one in the UK, it can match a car for luxury, it can fold all the seats away for use like a van - mine doubled as a work vehicle, you wouldnt believe the amount of heavy equipment I transported to ships with mine and theyre great for travelling. My Uk one was a diesel but with the diesel road tax prices here thats totally out of the picture. Besides the petrol dosent have much different fuel economy and has a lot more power.

Theyre also built like a rock to excellent standards and thus are a very safe place to be.

Having said that I'd even consider an older L300 model if it was cheap enough.

As a possible alternative I'm also looking for an old E34 series BMW in either a 525 (M50 engine) or 535 configuration but they also seem to be non existent here Having seen the rarity here the chances of an E34 Alpina also seem to be out too.
Old 26-Oct-2008, 04:04 PM   #4
CarZealot

Wink

Hi, welcome......

I think we've got a loyal & rare classic collector here...

I'm surprised, Mit's new D:5 is not as the L400 it's replacing? I thought they only improve on their specs everytime these automakers launch a new model. May be due to cost cutting?

You're right, buying a new car in Sg is really crazy if you compare the prices with overseas'...

If you want the power and also space and seems like diesel-powered is an option, you may want to consider some wagons, or even SUV, like Subaru's legacy wagon or Forester? They are known for their handling and AWD.

Or you can keep a look out at this page for other used vehicles: http://www.sgauto.com/vehicles/cars/used/
CarZealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Oct-2008, 10:27 AM   #5
mindriot

They changed the target market I think, the previous ones were orientated to more heavy work whereas the new one is aimed more at the standard SUV market.

As for collector, not sure, in the UK there is no such hostility to keeping old cars on the road and as such you can keep a car as long as you like, the weather and reliability become the deciding factors there with the ever present rust. Its hard to keep a car in good condition when the roads have salt spread on them during the winter, causes serious rust problems.

Thats why and old E34 BMW would have been nice, minimal electronics, just well set up and plenty of power and I know the cars extremely well.

I went round a few main places yesterday, megamart, turf city etc. and it seems getting an old car is serious hassle and a Delica was not type approved for here so importing one means risk of rejection at inspection and would have to try to get one older than 3 years in so the hassle and cost is just too much for me right now, mabye a second car at a later date :D

I've gone off the other end of the scale, pending a few details I'm in the process of buying a very nice MY07 Impreza 2.5 STI WRX
Old 27-Oct-2008, 07:17 PM   #6
livestar

What made you change your mind on the choice of car??

what comes around goes around comes around goes around comes...
livestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Oct-2008, 03:14 AM   #7
Achilles

Quote:
Originally Posted by livestar View Post
What made you change your mind on the choice of car??
Let me guess, the number of horses under the hood....
Old 31-Oct-2008, 12:32 PM   #8
mindriot

Part 1 :

I walked around most of the major places all day, it became clear my way of doing cars is being made impossible (buy old performance car and maintain myself), so I started looking newer. No offence to anyone but the makes and models being imported to Singapore are for the most part way overpriced and dreadful. I started looking for an STI WRX at 50 - 60k, I dont mind an older model as long as its not the bugeye one. This proved hard enough until I thought I'd found one at just over 60k, til I realised it was a 5 speed WRX made to look like STI but what made me seriously dubios was the dealer produced an STA cert for the vehicle! I went round and round all day til I came back to the current one, it was as good as a second hand car gets, a perfect example with all the right things on it, what I'd call a truly "honest" car. I never wanted to pay so much but the dealer was agreeable to an amount up front and working out a loan and seemed to be positive about it. I do not wish to outlay huge amounts of cash at this point in time.

Part 2 :

The dealer came back and told me he had to decrease the loan amount, so I said ok, then he tells me he needs garuntor, this is becoming too much hassle. weve been round and round on the numbers for 3 days. The guy is decent enough but the deal keeps getting worse. I'm at the stage today I want a return to the original numbers at the original terms or I want the deposit I paid to secure the car back immediately.

Conclusion:

My question is this, the dealer told me the deposit is refundable, so I am entitled to the refund or can they wheedle their way out of refunding it as the salesman keeps on putting me off with talk of communicating with his boss about getting a way back to the original deal or finding me another car.

All I want is a vehicle I like, age dosent worry me, I think I'll go back to looking at importing a Delica or finding an old car 20 - 30k max and buy it outright, I hate finance especially where cars are concerned.
Old 01-Nov-2008, 03:08 AM   #9
CarZealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindriot View Post

My question is this, the dealer told me the deposit is refundable, so I am entitled to the refund or can they wheedle their way out of refunding it as the salesman keeps on putting me off with talk of communicating with his boss about getting a way back to the original deal or finding me another car.

If possible, get them to write down in black and white on the refund/agreement, and sign with their company stamp against it, just in case there are any disputes in the future, just my 2 cents.
CarZealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Nov-2008, 07:03 PM   #10
Achilles

Glad that you walked out of the WRX-modded STI.

I don't really trust STA certs, few years back when I was lookin at used cars, I came across a VW with STA cert and was assured by the dealer that it was accident-free. Just to be sure, I insisted on bringing the car for a check at AA (which I believe had more thorough checks). Well, it turned out that after inspection, I was told that the front part section of the car had been reworked/replaced before, as it was not aligned according to the instruments/measurements. Though I really liked the car, I walked out of the deal too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindriot View Post
Part 1 :

I walked around most of the major places all day, it became clear my way of doing cars is being made impossible (buy old performance car and maintain myself), so I started looking newer. No offence to anyone but the makes and models being imported to Singapore are for the most part way overpriced and dreadful. I started looking for an STI WRX at 50 - 60k, I dont mind an older model as long as its not the bugeye one. This proved hard enough until I thought I'd found one at just over 60k, til I realised it was a 5 speed WRX made to look like STI but what made me seriously dubios was the dealer produced an STA cert for the vehicle! I went round and round all day til I came back to the current one, it was as good as a second hand car gets, a perfect example with all the right things on it, what I'd call a truly "honest" car. I never wanted to pay so much but the dealer was agreeable to an amount up front and working out a loan and seemed to be positive about it. I do not wish to outlay huge amounts of cash at this point in time.

Part 2 :

The dealer came back and told me he had to decrease the loan amount, so I said ok, then he tells me he needs garuntor, this is becoming too much hassle. weve been round and round on the numbers for 3 days. The guy is decent enough but the deal keeps getting worse. I'm at the stage today I want a return to the original numbers at the original terms or I want the deposit I paid to secure the car back immediately.

Conclusion:

All I want is a vehicle I like, age dosent worry me, I think I'll go back to looking at importing a Delica or finding an old car 20 - 30k max and buy it outright, I hate finance especially where cars are concerned.

Tags
3000cc, delica, l400, petrol, spacegear